Yard

Yard

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Beware!

This is the time of year that the dreaded TOMATO HORN-WORMS come out!  They are those fat light green caterpillars about 2 inches long (or longer) that devour tomato leaves, and destroy the plants.  We had not seen any on our tomato plants this year, but curiously enough, we found one on one of our Jalapeno plants!  It was eating a jalapeno!!  I didn't think anything ate jalapenoes except humans.  Then, I googled tomato horn-worms and wallah------this one is on a jalapeno plant!


The tomato hornworm is the larval stage of the Five-Spotted Hawk Moth.  Both the worm and the moth are large, and I would advise you to remove either when you see them.


I have seen small red headed sparrow like birds diving in and out of my tomato plants, and I hope they are feasting on either the worm or the moth, but I will keep my eyes peeled for the dreaded predators.

No comments:

Post a Comment