Yard

Yard

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Personal Style


Since I am now a grandmother, people might try to imagine what I was like as a young adult.  This picture would surely come to mind, because it was the traditional outfit that a girl would wear to church in the 1960's, complete with hat, kid gloves and high heels.




Well, what can I say?  This was photographed in the 70's.  At the time I loved the art of Peter Max and actually painted one of his creations on our bedroom wall.  Just for fun I did an afro hairdo for the photo.


No, this wasn't a fox stole, but a real baby fox that a friend had saved.  Very soft and cuddly.  I made the dress, and the pattern was much like a snow angel shape---just 2 seams.



A precursor to the string bikini.  Pretty risque for 1965.  And, the guys had shorter trunks too.



Another of my own creations.  The fabric was stretch metalic, and of course, mini skirts were all the rage.  Egyptian poses were very popular---remember the song, "Walk Like An Egyptian"?


We were on our way to a wedding.  Dave was to be the best man---he doesn't look very happy about it, does he?  I think these tuxedos are still popular.  As for my dress---I actually saw one like it recently.  Some fashions are timeless.



I actually did a lot of sewing in those days.  Here is another dress I copied from some actress in a movie----don't remember who, but as you know, cutouts in dresses are still popular today.



Boots, of course, have been popular forever.  These have little heels, just like many these days.  The outfit is completed with a hat handmade in Scotland, another popular item of the time.





Couldn't resist putting in this tin type of some relatives from long ago in the Armit family.  Lots of different styles here.

7 comments:

  1. luv,luv,luv this post. so fun to see my mom so hip and trendy. and to see that styles haven't changed a whole lot. you are a beautiful person inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie! Means a lot coming from the daughter that you love so much!

      Delete
  2. you are just gorgeous!!!! really, such a knock out! i love you and the fox. how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would love that fox. I only held it that one time. Cute little devil.

      Delete
  3. OMG Charlotte! You are such a hot mama! I think Heather has carried on some of your traditions and fun styles. The art painted on the wall. Amazing and so fun to see. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Charlotte! You are one hot mama! I can see where Heather gets her great sense of style and her crafty side (painted wall art) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Sometimes you want to be known as someone other than Grandma :)

      Delete