Yard

Yard

Thursday, June 27, 2013

MARTHA and ME


Everyone knows that I am an avid Martha Stewart fan.  I would faithfully watch her TV program daily, and never failed to get an idea or two for gardening, meals or books to read.  When they discontinued her show, I was devastated.  But, recently I have re-discovered her on U-Tube.

 
Once when I was substituting at the school where Heather teaches, one of the students said, "You look like that Martha Stewart person."  I was thrilled.
 
 
Maybe it was the blond hair? 
 
 
I love to watch Martha cook.  She always uses the very freshest ingredients, and can even make a simple soup like this look fabulous.  And, she never wastes anything! 
 
 
What she doesn't use in the meal, she makes into a magnificent flower arrangement like this one, showing lettuce, artichokes, kale and fresh herbs.  Any scraps go to the chickens.
 
 
We have fresh ingredients too, like these jalapeno peppers.  I wonder if Martha ever had jalapenos stuffed with Pepper Jack Cheese, sprinkled with a Cajun Rub?
 
 
Who needs to arrange flowers when you can buy potted Gerbera Daisies?
 
 
If I do make a flower arrangements I just love Salstice when placed among roses or other flowers.  It looks a little like purple Baby's Breath.
 
 
Somehow I don't envision these vegetables in a flower arrangement.  Martha, though, would put them in a horn of plenty, or some other imaginative container.
 
 
 
Although I have learned a lot from Martha, I must give most of the credit for any culinary or gardening talent I may have, to my beautiful mother, who really knew her way around a kitchen as well as a garden.  She was the one who encouraged me to learn as much as I could, and to always do my best.  (She also taught me to eat fresh vegetables right out of the garden---YUM!)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments: