Yard

Yard

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Easters Past


Easter has always had special memories for me.  It is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons.

 
It was very important when I was a girl to dress up for church in your new Easter outfit.  Hats were a must, also new shoes---white or black patent leather----and a matching purse.  I can't tell if I have gloves on in this photo, but if not, I'm sure they were in my purse.  By the way, my Mom made my coat and my dress.
 
 
I'm about 5 years old in this picture.  A big part of Easter always involved getting live ducks or chicks.  Strange pets for a Chicago girl.
 
 
This is a photo of an unknown relative who was undoubtedly getting ready to stroll in the Easter Parade.  The more ornate the hat, the better, and a parasol was so chic.
 
 
A beautiful Easter day in McHenry with Mom and sister Darlene.
 
 
Although this photo was not taken at Easter, it shows the fashion of the day when my Paternal Grandparents---Anton and Pearl----left my parent's wedding.  Straw hats were immensely popular with the men, white shoes for both men and women.
 
 
Little girls still dress in their Easter best, but the Easter Egg Hunt is the highlight of the day.
 
 
And every child should get an Easter Bunny!
 
 
But, it's amazing that Straw hats are still the thing!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment