Yard

Yard

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Memorial Day


Memorial Day, or Decoration Day, is a U.S. holiday honoring the dead of all wars.  It originated in the South after the Civil War when the graves of both the Confederate and Union Soldiers were decorated with flowers.  Currently, we honor all military personnel living or dead who have served. 

                                            

My Great Uncle Stanley was a soldier in WWI.  If you've seen the movie Sergeant York, you might recognize the uniform Gary Cooper wore.

 
My Dad served during WWII, a war where every family had those who served in the military.  
 
 
I am extremely proud of my niece, Chantelle, who served during the Gulf War. 
 
 
My own husband, Duane, served during the Viet Nam War, unfortunately all photos of him during that period have been lost to us.
 
 
My Dad's WWII unit captured a Nazi flag.  (He's 5th from the left.)  The solemnity of the day seems to have been forgotten, until we once again review the reasons we have gone to war.  Freedom, Freedom, Freedom!!!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment